From Promise unto The Promise Land
- Promise | God initiates a covenant with Abraham and makes a Promise to Bless the nations through him.
- Promise Kept | God gives Abraham a son, Isaac. And through him a tribe.
- Possessed by Pharaoh | God’s people are enslaved.
- Promise Kept | God multiplies Abraham’s descendant.
- Passover | God saves his people and delivers them out of Bondage.
- Possessed by God| God’s people enter covenant and receive "vows" to live by (10 Commands).
- Purpose | God’s purpose for their Deliverance is revealed in the Cult Practices Set Up for the Priestly Order - Leviticus; mainly - you exist to worship me in holiness!
- Preparation | God’s people are prepared for the journey towards the next fulfillment of his Promise, The Promise Land.
- Pain in the Wilderness | God’s people freak out and they experience the Cost of Disobedience.
- Promise Land | We should be there any day now, right?
Hence, the Hebrew name for this biblical book is fitting - “In the Wilderness”
The wilderness, according to Dr. Sara Koenig from Seattle Pacific University,
is a barren place, where not much grows.
is a dry place, without much water.
is a hot place, without much shelter or shade.
is a place of exposure, where a person can not hide.
Life Sometimes Just Sucks
“…In this world you will have trouble…” - Jesus (John 16:33) But Scripture teaches, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials (in the wilderness) of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” - James 1:2-4
Because the trials you face are in the Exodus (wilderness but free) not in Egypt (sheltered but enslaved).
“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.” - Psalm 62:5-6
Often in the Wilderness we wonder if God is doing anything truly Worthwhile?
We hate The Wilderness because it feels aimless and pointless.
Point of View (Perspectives)
Linear View - sometimes disorienting and hopeless due to the vast view of the desert ahead vs Aerial View - we can see the end and hopeful due to seeing the overall journey.
We all long for Rain in the Desert, It will Come but What Will it Reveal?
But then when the rain comes, that rain we’ve been longing for in the desert, in the wilderness, you’ll discover he’s been doing something after all.
And it’s only in the Rain of God, that we see what he was up to in the Wilderness.